There’s Never a Line at the Squat Rack!
“I Can Squat now!”
Because of some previous injuries, I had to give up squats as part of my workout routine… until recently. On the day I was going to add thatÂ exercise, I noticed something…
No one is standing in line to do squats!
Why? Most everyone I know hates and loathe squats. They’re hard, tiring and make you sore like a Redwood sized pimple. But…Â most exerciseÂ gurusÂ agree, the single bestÂ exerciseÂ anyone can do is the squat. Â So where is everybody? They’re on the other side Â of the gym doing the easy more pleasurable machines.
Isn’t that just like most of us. We avoid the 1-Thing that will do us the most good, simply because it’s the most difficult. Like most others, I have had to learn to push through and get those difficult, but beneficial things DONE! Here are few tips that have helped me…
I don’t care how you are wired, I’ve never known I highly productive leader that is not geared to get the most difficult and important things done first thing. Yeah, early morning!
- Get up early! Schedule yourself to do things that are the most difficult while others are sleeping
- Early means no distractions, much higher success rate
- Early means nothing can compete with your priorities
- I know this sounds old school, but if you don’t write down what you must do, you rarely get it done
- If it’s a real priority, force yourself to do it before moving on to something else… “I think I will do some curls and come back to the squats later…NOT”
- When you can “check it” that it’s done, it will fuel you for the next one!
- I have my most important tasks and activities scheduled and repeated in myÂ calendar, with reminders
- When it’s time to do, it… Stop what you’re doing and just dig in!
- Putting it on a schedule helps develop a habit of doing the important things, and not missing them..
- Don’t turn the reminders off!!! If you do, you’re giving yourself permission to stop!
- Encourage those around you and those on your team to do the same
- If you tell others that’s how you get things done, it will help you stay faithful!
- Modeling this around others will them move to a higher level in their leadership
So…What is your “Squat Thing?” What is one of the things you know is highlyÂ beneficial, but yet you struggle with getting it done?