I was having a conversation with a fellow pastor and he was sharing some difficulties they were having with staff. As our talk continued, several things popped into my head about how to effectively lead a church staff:
- Always take the heat, but never the praise
- When they fail, coach 'em up, don't beat 'em up
- Oh yeah, almost forgot… it's OK for them to fail… because we do!
- ALWAYS value everyone's input with enthusiasm
- Expect others to do things better than you. Because you need them to!
- Look for their strengths & always remind them how much you notice them
- Challenge them & then give them the authority to see it through, if they fail see #2
- Schedule time for "walk & talk." Go to them, find ways to help & show you care
- Look for opportunities (privately & publicly( to tell the world how much you love them
- Together… Seek World Peace (Just in case)